Monday 27 June 2011

A new beekeeper is made



I have been assisting with the bees now for many months and although reluctantly at first I will  confess, now I cant get enough of them.

It all happened quite by chance really, my hubby had wanted to keep bees for many years and decided to go on a beekeeping course to find out the pros and cons. Armed with this knowledge and having read every book he could get his hands on he bought his first hive.

 Gary a good friend of ours also started mentoring him and his confidence grew and grew. He also helped when there was a swarm caught last year and this can be seen on youtube

At the beginning of the year a half suit was bought for me so I could watch from a safe distance behind a wall, I didn't like the thought of all that buzzing around my head. Over the first few weeks I was encouraged to watch every time they made an inspection, then one weekend a neighbour knocked on our door and told me that there was a swarm of bees in the hedge near by.

 Hubby was out for the night, Gary couldn't be contacted, what to do!!

I knew that my hubby would be gutted if he missed catching a swarm, so I decided I would have a go. Luckily the neighbour also kept a hive in his garden so offered to assist me. I found the full suit, gloves and a box to put them in while I waited for him to come back suited and booted and hopefully know what to do next.

Two of my grown up sons thought it was hilarious, that I was going to attempt to catch a swarm, but I did.
I have to say it was one of the most thrilling things I have ever done, buzzing, what buzzing I was in awe of those little flying bees I didn't even notice the sound or even worry about the hundreds that where flying around my head.

The bees had collected on an old branch in a hedge that surrounds our field, it looked like a rugby ball. First job was to place the box directly beneath them, then with tree loppers the branch was cut and the majority of bees landed in the box. As there was still many bees flying around and another clump on the floor we waited half an hour for them to decide that the queen was in the box. Having realised were she was they all then decided to enter the box too. within 20 minutes they were all in. Box was sealed and taken to the apiary. If you watch the youtube footage you will see how a swarm then marches into a hive, fascinating!!

That day changed my outlook on bees and took away any fears I had, I cant wait to get in amongst them and find out what is happening each week.

I am happy to say I have assisted in catching another swarm very recently, this time it was 3 miles away on a housing estate, in a ladies garden and I took the lead on capturing this. Its funny now every time I go for a walk I am looking in trees hedges and in peoples gardens just in case there is a swarm of bees I can take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment