Sunday 10 July 2011

Getting out of hand!

After finishing of my ramblings yesterday, I had just started to do the housework when I was called outside.

Come and look at this, was the shout!!
So the vacuuming had to wait once again whilst I went outside to see what was up.
Where are you?
Over here, I followed the voice and went into the field , look over there!
I looked but could not see anything, what am I looking at?
A swarm of bees,
You have got to be kidding me,I said
No honestly, I saw it it must of just landed in the hedge said hubby
If that is the case we had better get our bee suits on again and take a look

Do you know I might as well get dressed in my bee suit every morning, because I seem to constantly have to keep putting it on, it is getting out of hand!!

So when kitted up, we crossed the field,manoeuvring our way over a fence and under the barbed wire without getting our suits stuck or ripped, not an easy task. Once in the field, we walked up the hedges to find the swarm.We didn't have to go far before spotting it, as there was still several hundred bees flying around the hedge.

We decided to shake this one straight out of the hedge and into an empty Nuc box, not the text book way of doing things, but for ease we thought we would give it a go.

Most of the bees landed in the Nuc box but with several hundred still flying around our heads we decided to go for a cuppa, whilst the rest landed and hopefully followed her majesty inside.

Thirty minutes later, we went back to collect it to find some neighbours in their gardens enthralled at what they were watching, we explained what had happened and why we were looking like spacemen before leaving with the Nuc box back to our field.

That now makes 12!!

The Nuc was sited in a nice sunny position, now all we had to do was drop in the 6 frames without hopefully losing the swarm. Carefully we slipped the top off and then we slowly moved the crown board over to one side, far enough to drop in very carefully one frame then slide it over to drop in another and then another.

Feeling quite smug with ourselves we stood back and admired the new acquisition.

No comments:

Post a Comment