Saturday 9 July 2011

Transfer of Bees from Nuc to Hive

Well today's Job was pretty straight forward, but it is getting a bit of a headache trying to remember which hive is which, so we have had to go around and physically number each hive.
I wanted to name them as I thought it would be lovely "Primrose Hive" has a nice sound to it, dont you think? but for simplicity sake I know its more sensible to just number them so I gave in.

It is extremely important to keep hive records especially when you have more than 2 hives, I am disciplined enough to do that and since being involved with all aspects of beekeeping I set up my own log book. There are unfortunately no records from last year, say no more..

So for record keeping sake only, I have named them as well numbering, hopefully you can then follow a little easier what I am doing in the future.

Number 1 ( Dahlia) hive is the problem Nuc which is queen less
Number 2 ( Dandelion) hive is the one which we saw the queen emerge from this week
Number 3 (Lavender) hive is the one with the honey flow and going well
Number 4 (Primrose) is my hive also with a new emerged queen this week
Number 5 (Daisy) is from an artificial swarm out of number 2 hive

All above hives are in one apiary on the mountain

Number 6  (Poppy) hive is the swarm caught in Deganwy today transferred from a Nuc box into a full hive and on 5 full frames with room to expand
Number 7 (Geranium) hive is a swarm caught in Llanbedr this hive was transferred from a full hive into a Nuc box only on 3 frames and we needed the hive for hive # 6
Number 8 (Buttercup) hive is from an artificial swarm from hive #4 and was also transferred from a Nuc into a full hive to give them more room as this was struggling for space
Number 9 (Honeysuckle) hive is from a swarm caught in Mochdre
Number 10 (Cowslip) hive is from a swarm caught in Llanrwst
Number 11 (Cosmos) hive is from a swarm caught in Llanbedr again, this week

All the above hives are in the apiary in the field

Now I can get on with some housework which has been a little neglected because of the bees!!

No comments:

Post a Comment